Health & Genetics
WTCA Health Committee
The Welsh Terrier is considered to be a relatively healthy breed. The WTCA Health Committee is dedicated to identifying health concerns in the breed and supporting research that will benefit the breed.
The AKC Canine Health Foundation/Welsh Terrier Club of America Donor Advised Fund was established in 1998. The WTCA periodically sponsors CHF studies. Please consider making a tax-deductible donation to support research on topics relevant to all Welsh Terriers.
General Health Information
The following information included in this section of the WTCA’s website is provided by the WTCA health committee. It is not our intention that the information contained herein be used as a substitute for professional veterinary care. We hope the links and information provided will aid in your understanding of health issues that may occur in Welsh Terriers. Not all health problems identified in Welsh Terriers are of an inherited nature.
Topics Related to Welsh Terrier Health
- Addison's Disease
- Canine Blindness
- Cushing's Disease
- Epilepsy Information/Research
- Genome BARKS - podcasts from AKC CHF
- Glaucoma/Lens Luxation Information/Research
- American College of Veterinary Ophthalmologists
- Merck Veterinary Manual
Articles of interest to Welsh Terrier Health
- Effects of Genetic Testing by Jerold S Bell, DVM
- The Ins and Outs of Pedigree Analysis, Genetic Diversity, and
- Genetic Disease Control by Jerold S Bell, DVM
- Pedigree Analysis and How Breeding Decisions Affect Genes by Jerold S Bell, DVM
- Breeding Strategies for the Management of Genetic Disorders by Jerold S Bell, DVM
- Dog Fancy Article - In the Blink of an Eye
- Glaucoma and Cataracts - AKC CHF
- Atopic Dermatitis by Thierry Olivry, DrVet, PhD, DipACVD, DipECVD
* This page is not intended as a substitute for veterinary advice. The WTCA is not responsible for the content of linked sites. The links are provided solely for the convenience of the reader.
Donate to the Health Fund
Please consider making a tax deductible donation to the Canine Health Fund / WTCA Donor Advised Fund. Your donation helps fund studies that are pertinent to all Welsh Terriers. For more information, open the PDF below:
Download, view, save, and/or print full PDF by clicking here.